How to Call South Korea from the U.S.
Trying to call South Korea from USA but need better instructions? Then you should follow our easy-to-follow “How to Call South Korea” dialing directions:
- First dial 011, the U.S. exit code.
- Next dial 82, the country code for Korea.
- Then dial the area code (1 digit for Seoul, and 2 digits for all other cities -- please see a sample calling code list below)
- And finally the phone number (6-8 digits).
Need more help with how to call South Korea?
Here is a list of some major city area codes and city calling codes:
|SOUTH KOREA AREA CODES|
Need more help calling South Korea?
If your call isn‘t going through, you‘ll need to double check and see if one of the following common dialing errors isn‘t being made:
Are your international calls being blocked?
Many phone service providers preset international calling to “blocked” so be sure this setting is off before trying to place an international call.
Area codes + cell phone numbers = incorrect
Area codes can‘t be added to international cell numbers. Also, numbers for cell phones usually have a set starting digit, one that isn‘t not for use with landlines.
You don‘t need that trunk code
In instances where the number you‘re trying begins with a zero, drop it. The 0 is a “trunk code,” used in calls only to specific countries.
â ¨For example, if the number you are calling is 021 XXXX XXXX:
- The wrong way to dial from the U.S. is 011 + 44 + 021 XXXX XXXX
- The right way to dial from the U.S. is 011 + 44 + 21 XXXX XXXX
VoIP (Internet phone) connections
Most VoIP service providers won‘t force you to dial 011 for an international call, including calls to South Korea. If this is the case, leave off the 011 U.S. exit code.