How to Call Germany from the U.S.
To call Germany from the U.S., just follow these simple dialing directions:
- First dial 011, the U.S. exit code.
- Next dial 49, the country code for Germany.
- Then dial the area code (2-5 digits).
- Fnally, dial the phone number (3-9 digits).
Need more help calling Germany?
If your call isn‘t going through, watch out for these common dialing errors:
Blocked international calls
Many phone service providers offer the option to block international calling or even have it as a default. Check this setting before trying to place a direct international call.
Mobile numbers without area codes
Area codes shouldn‘t be added to international cell phone numbers. Cell phone numbers in most countries also have an allocated starting digit that isn‘t used for landlines.
Drop the trunk code
If the number you are dialing starts with zero, you must drop this first digit. The zero is called a “trunk code” and is used when calling within certain countries.
For example, if the number you are calling is 021 XXXX XXXX:
- the wrong way to dial from the U.S. is 011 + 49 + 021 XXXX XXXX
- the right way to dial from the U.S. is 011 + 49 + 21 XXXX XXXX
VoIP (Internet phone) connections
Some VoIP service providers allow you to skip dialing 011 before placing an international call. If this feature is turned on, just leave out the 011 U.S. exit code.
Here is a list of major Germany area codes and city calling codes.
|GERMANY AREA CODES|